This is another piece by Phil McDarby. Phil McDarby is a freelance graphic artist who started digital creations in 1998. Right now he lives in Dublin. I only mention where he lives because I imagine that the scenery around his home has inspired a lot of his digital paintings. Like, with The Wood Dragon, the characters are created with his Wacom Tablet and his background is created from his own photography. I love how in all of his pieces, he adds to the environment. He doesn't change it or make a whole new environment, he just adds to it. In this piece, there is a big element of design being used between the dragon and the ladybird, that being a line in line of sight. Line of sight and focal point. His focal point is created by contrasting colors of the ladybug and then the movement through the piece is back and forth between the dragon's eyes and the ladybug's eyes. I find this piece to be comical because it reminds me of an old west shoot out or a staring match. Either way this dragon is definitely intent on this little itty bitty ladybug. With his horns/antennas forward and his left leg lifted a little, I would say it's more curiosity towards the lady bug than malicious intent. Besides being comical, I would definitely label this as a cute picture of a dragon. Whenever McDarby does a fantasy work of art, he is able to add magic to a normal environment without ruining the environment. This dragon actually looks as if it plausibly fits in the environment.
Here are some other wood dragons:
No comments:
Post a Comment