Monday, April 25, 2011

Post 12- Partly Cloudy

So, I was watching the Pixar documentary on Netflix the other day and I found it extremely interesting. At one point, they talk about how the computer was thought to ruin cartoons and animation for artists. People thought the computer would do all the work. Through out this "crisis" for animation artists, there was the group of technological experts that wanted to marry art and technology together. This group of people, eventually named Pixar, a break off of Lucas films, proves that art and technology can be put together and that it doesn't put out artists, it just is a different form of art. One of my favorite messages in the movie was about how these artists push the limits of the technology and then the technology improves to meet the art requirements. This is a super simple basis on what the documentary is about, though it is worth watching. While I was watching the movie, they showed a couple of the short films that they won awards for and that made me remember watching a few of the Birds short films and I decided to look up the most recent short film. The most recent came out with Toy Story 3 and is called "Day and Night". "Day and Night" is a touching story about Day and his opposite, Night, who show off all their differences and good qualities but end up forming a friendship and see that they arn't so different. From an art aspect, I really liked how it's a mix between old school looking animation and 3D animation. They were talking about how they never wanted to degrade 2D animation and this short film shows that they can mix together. The director of this Short Film is Teddy Newton who also earned an Oscar Nomination for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpN0vwgVBZk
http://www.pixar.com/shorts/d&n/anim_short_before_and_after.mov

No comments:

Post a Comment