Monday, April 11, 2011

Post 10- Bert Monroy

Damen Train Station:


This piece was created by an artist named Bert Monroy. Bert Monroy works with digital paintings/creations. He started digital art in 1984 which makes him one of the first artists to embrace art at the digital computer level. He was even the co-author of the first Photoshop book and is in the Photoshop Hall of Fame. This piece, called Damen, is mostly all Photoshop, with some illustrator for a few symbols and words in the train station. This is the Damen Station in Chicago. The size of this piece is 40 inches by 120 inches. The file size is 1.7 gigs and the overall amount of Photoshop layers is 15,000. Now, this is an incredible size if you think about how about 400-600 songs will fit in 1.7 gigs and most Photoshop files have less than 50 layers (maybe approaching 100). What I find jaw dropping about this piece is it's depth. If you look at the overall piece, it is crisp and clear, but unlike other paintings, as you zoom in, the items in the piece don't get blurry, they just get  bigger: 
The overall piece is amazingly realistic with the train tracks receding into the distance. I chose this piece for a couple of reasons. First, I never saw this piece until recently in my Photoshop class and secondly because I can't stop staring at it. There is just so much detail in it that it is over the top amazing. I find myself thinking "I think I would go crazy if I did something like that." It really reminds me of how if this piece were on a huge billboard, you could stand far away and see the top post, then as you walk closer you see the detail. It seems like a lot of digital art misses that key, the sheer size effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment