This piece starts with the contrast between Conan and the snake which leads to the change in proportion between the snake and Conan. The size of the snake catches your eye after the white of Conan's back. There is also a tension to the overall piece. Conan is straining against the chain and looks as if he is about to snap the chains and kick some reptilian butt. Beyond the contrast and the proportion and the tension, there is also a certain lay to the figures. It is set up in a pyramidal form that leads your eye to the top of the piece. The base of the pyramid are the two sets of chains which leads to Conan which leads to the giant snake towering above him. In the background is also many half formed devilish looking creatures that kind of hide in a formless smoke. This just adds to the dark scene. What I really like about this piece is that I connect it with an action scene from a book like Conan. You can tell a story about most every piece but this story connects with books I enjoy reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment