Cover Art: Epic Mickey by Warren Spector
This is the cover art for the video game: Epic Mickey. The designer of the game is Warren Spector who is a video game designer for many games like the Deus ex and Thief series. I have never actually heard of these games but I will have to go check them out now. I couldn't find any information on the medium for this specific piece but the idea of Epic Mickey was intended for a video game so I am guessing this piece was made in some sort of digital format. The first element of design I see being used is value. Value is one of the reasons why I like this piece. The artist made a dark version of mickey and set him in a dark, evil world. The contrast between the eyes of the ink monster with his crooked grin, is set off against his dark nothingness of a body. Another principle being used is proportion. The mansion is actually smaller than Mickey, which we would take as being really far away. Not to mention up a crooked, sinister path that has all sorts of sharp edges that shows off it's sinisterness. Sharp edges lead us to think of danger, like a knife or a horn. My absolute favorite part of this piece is the Mickey figure. He has red pants that emphasizes his figure and then his stance itself is made to look like he is ready to go kick some evil butt. Mickey is also dripping away, and that dripping ink is actually pointing towards the center of the piece, where you know he will end up eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment