This is called The Gloaming Born by Phil McDarby. Phil McDarby is a freelance digital artist who has been using digital methods since 1998. The majority of his art is an attempt to create a sense of wonder and magic in the piece. This was created in photoshop using over 200 layers and was designed as a mural for his daughter. Some elements and principles of design being used are balance, emphasis, and unity. The balance of this piece is created with the tree character on the right and the deer and creek on the left. The tree character is the focal point of the piece by how the lighting and colors are all more vibrant on the character/miniature baby tree. This creates an emphasis on that area. Every where else it is misty and a little fuzzed out but is perfectly bright and clear on the tree character. All of this piece looks like it belongs in a forest, creating a unity. Even with a tree coming to life, it looks as if it fits with the environment. I found this artist through Google Images, looking for a landscape to use in photoshop and when I found this I thought it had just been a plain old forest. This was looking at the image through a little 2 inch pop up so when I clicked on it to get it full size I was glad to find that it was no average forest. The tree character looks so serene as it creates this little baby tree. Even one of the deer seems to be looking at what is happening from the background. It's one of those scenes in nature that you would be privileged to watch (of course you couldn't watch this but it's one of those types of scenes). It's very calming with the babbling creek and soft lighting that you can just chill out as you enjoy looking at it.

No comments:
Post a Comment